Surgery Plan for Next week:
We are supposed to arrive at the Children's Hospital on Monday, Oct 4 early in the morning to start a day full of testing (insurance verification, blood work, chest X-ray, electrocardiogram and echocardiogram, also meeting with countless doctors, nurses, anesthesiologist, and her surgeon)
4-6 hours of waiting for the Cath while they do a "workup"
Then they will do the heart Cath. I found out today when I finally was able to track down a nurse on the case that there is a small chance that they can close her ASD in the Cath lab. This isn't likely because of her small size and this will depend on how high her pressures are, but they aren't ruling this out completely yet. (YAY) We will probably know better after her tests on the 4th, but for sure after the Cath is completed on the 5th.
During the Cath they will also be testing the effect of different types of drugs on her hypertension to see if they can help her better with a different medication after the surgery.
She will be discharged from the Cath and the pre op work will begin at 11:00am. This apparently takes the rest of the day.
Surgery is scheduled (last time we had to be there at the break of dawn for a 10:00 surgery. This whole process involves a lot of waiting)
The surgery's purpose is to close her ASD. This time they will have to go in through the chest and she will need to go on a heart/lung machine for the duration of the surgery. She will also need a breathing tube which they anticipate that she will need for at least 12 hours following the surgery as well. They are anticipating about 5 days recovery. While she is there, we will meet with the Pulmonary Hypertension team to discuss where to go from here. Hopefully this will erase her need for oxygen.