Monday, April 12, 2010

Going back to work

Addison's response to me going back to work today:

Addison's response to getting to spend the day at Grandma's house:

What a beautiful Vermont day. The sun is shining, the mountains are breathtaking, just enough of a chill in the air to still wear a sweater, grass is green again and all plants are generally starting to produce more color. However, I did not notice any of these things until roughly 3:00pm when I finished my first day back at work. I was really dreading today. Am I the only one who builds things up in my mind to the point where they seem way worse than they actually are? Sometimes I think that it is the things that are the hardest to do that are the best for you in the long run. Yes, it is a lot of work to take care of Addison and the thought of now having to get dressed up and travel to school and teach a couple classes a day in addition to that seems like so much more work and tires me out just thinking about it. But, I am one of those people who does better with deadlines and places to be and a schedule to work around. In college I used to pack my schedule unbelievably full because I knew that the busier I was, the better I would allot my time. As a result, I would do so much better in school. Anyway, all of that to say that I had to go back to work today for the first time since having Addison and it wasn't half bad- it was good for me. I was dreading it, but as soon as I stood in front of my class at 8:15 this morning, I remembered how much I really love my job and I really missed my students. Someone asked on a past post what it is that I do. I am a half time high school teacher and I currently teach band and orchestra.

Today's schedule was a bit interesting as they had assigned Addison a doctor's appointment smack dab in the middle of the day. So, I taught my morning class, ran home to pump, ran to Mom Smith's house to pick up Addison and then ran to the hospital. (Yes, today included a lot of running) Once at the hospital, I spent quite a bit of time in the waiting room trying to convince Addison to stop staring at all of the people around her and actually take her bottle instead of pushing it away with her arm so that she could focus on staring. After waiting for 50 minutes, I realized that I had to be back at school in an hour to teach my class. I hate being "that person" who demands to know why they have been kept waiting so long, but I was really on a tight schedule, so I asked the receptionist what was going on and she said that she "forgot that I had checked in and forgot to page the doctor". I tried to keep a smile on, but it was difficult as I had sat there for 50 minutes and listen to the 3 receptionist debate about which Chinese food to order in for lunch. Thankfully, once we got into the appointment, it was a short appointment in which the surgeon who put the G-tube in and two residents measured her for her button which should go in next week and will hopefully be much easier to take care of than the tube that starts to bleed if it comes untaped for even 30 seconds.

Mom Smith (who watched Addison so graciously today) met me at the appointment so that she could take Addison home while I headed back into work to teach my last class as there just wasn't time for me to do both. All was going well until we were loading Addison in her car and Aaron kept calling my phone so I was super distracted. It wasn't until I was back at my car that I realized that my wallet was still in the diaper bag and I had no way to pay for parking. I saw Mom Smith going down the exit aisle, so without thinking, I started to run like a crazy person after her car to see if I could catch her attention so that she would come back. Unfortunately, her accelerations were much faster than my run and she was exiting the parking garage when I realized that people were staring and that I wasn't going to make it. I looked down at my phone and wondered why I didn't just use that....I blame lack of sleep. Anyway, by this point I was super short on time and figured my best bet was just to see how merciful the ticket attendant was. I very sweetly asked her if she could mail me the bill and then spouted off this crazy story about how my MIL took my baby and my diaper bag and I forgot my wallet in the diaper bag and I had absolutely no cash on me. She just gave me a super weird look, said don't worry about it, and just opened the gate so that I could go through. I'm sure she thought I was there for some psychiatric help.

I made it back to school just in time for my last class. I'm glad that I didn't get pulled over because that would have been a difficult ticket to sweet talk my way out of that ticket since I didn't have my wallet and was definitely going just a bit fast so that I could make it on time. When I got back to school, I found a latte and a sweet note from a friend on my desk. All of a sudden, the day didn't seem so stressful anymore. It is amazing what a huge difference small gestures make.

I am home now and Miss Addison is sleeping soundly in her crib. Grandma Smith did a really great job of taking care of her today. Now I'm going to sign off and go clean up the tornado that I left in my wake this morning trying to get everything ready for today.


  1. You are a truly amazing person, Deanna! I will be praying for strength from the LORD for you each day. I know He will be there for you!

  2. Wow, this baby and love your writings. :) Oh, and if you ever need a babysitter while going to your psychiatric appointments, just let me know. haha ;D Have a great night and I look forward to your next big adventure! ~Stacey

  3. The picture of Addison crying about makes me cry!

  4. Outstanding Deanna, you go girl!

  5. Deanna, amazing. Made me laugh and cry. You're a great Mommy.

  6. Addison certainly was VERY unhappy about you going back to work yesterday!! Poor thing! But, she is still adorable in every way! Love your blog!

  7. So excited - I got to get off campus today and read through all your entries and see all the pictures. I love you DJ you're a great mom to Addison and you're a great sis to me ;)


Thanks for reading about my Everything and Nothing. I would love to hear from you!